Dave begin training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in 1996 under Leo Dalla receiving his blue belt and competing in several major tournaments before Dalla returned to Brazil. Dave continue his training with fellow Dalla student Lloyd Irvin, eventually receiving both his purple and brown belts from Lloyd as well as notching a number of tournament victories in both Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Judo. Following some time off due to injury, Dave returned to training with Dalla and was awarded his blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in 2005. Dave is known for possessing an extremely well rounded ground game consisting of excellent throws and takedowns, tremendous pressure when on top, slick submissions from the bottom and a nearly unpassable guard.
- 2009 Copa Nova Advanced No-Gi Lightweight champion
- 2008 US Grappling Advanced Featherweight No-Gi champion
- 2008 Grapplers Quest US Nationals Advanced SuperFeatherweight No-Gi Silver Medalist
- 2007 US Grappling Advanced No-Gi champion
- 2006 CBJJ World Championship blackbelt quarter-finalist
- 2005 Capital Classic Lightweight superfight champion
Dave combines his technical expertise in jiu-jitsu with a passion for teaching both beginners and advanced students and is quickly becoming recognized for his ability to develop championship caliber competitors. Armed with a complete understanding of jiu-jitsu fundamentals as well as a thorough understanding of more advanced techniques, tournament strategies, and tournament preparation, Dave can provide anyone with exactly what they need whether their goal is to win at the highest level of competition or to just improve their game. Dave is available for Personal Training by appointment.
Kids Martial Arts Instructor
Michelle began training jiu-jitsu with Team Dave Trader in 2007 and has developed into an excellent competitor. She is one of the most active female competitors on the local, regional, and national tournament circuits. Always in the medal mix, Michelle recently demonstrated why she is one of the most promising American female grapplers by winning the Women’s Advanced Absolute Division at GrapplersQuest World Series of Grappling. Look for Michelle to make her mark internationally in 2012.
- 2011 Submission Only Northern VA Women’s Advanced Division 158lbs – Champion
- 2011 Submission Only Northern VA Women’s Blue Belt 158lbs – Champion
- 2010 Grapplers Quest World Series of Grappling Women’s No-Gi Advanced Open – Champion
- 2010 US Grappling: Diamond State Games Women’s No-Gi Intermediate 147lbs – Champion
- 2010 US Grappling: Diamond State Games Women’s No-Gi Intermediate Absolute – Champion
- 2010 US Grappling: Diamond State Games Women’s Blue Belt Absolute – Champion
- 2010 Grapplers Quest: U.S. Nationals Women’s Blue Belt Class C Champion
- 2010 Copa Nova Women’s White Belt Heavyweight Champion
- 2009 Copa Nova Women’s White Belt Heavyweight Champion
- 2008 GrapplersQuest U.S. Nationals Women´s White Belt Absolute Champion
- 2008 GrapplersQuest U.S. Nationals Women´s No-Gi Beginner Middleweight Champion
Michelle combines her passion for jiu-jitsu with her passion for teaching children as the instructor of our Kids Martial Arts program. Be sure to check out Michelle’s blog where she details her jiu-jitsu experiences, offers some jiu-jitsu insights, further training & competition updates, as well as a unique female perspective on the sport.